From the UTEP archives
| |Check out
this article from the National Geographic Magazine
(April 1914) to see the inspiration for UTEP's classic architecture.
Want to see more artifacts on UTEP history? Visit UTEP's DigitalCommons
On this day in UTEP history . . .
| |April 29, 1949
• The U.T. Board of Regents
approves a motion changing the name of the College of Mines
to the Texas Western College of The University of Texas
. The recommendation was forwarded to the Texas Legislature for approval.
The Prospector reports on the impact of the name change, 1949
Read previous entries here
Chartered: April 16, 1913, by an Act of the 33rd Texas State Legislature as the State School of Mines and Metallurgy under the governance of the U.T. Board of Regents
First Day of Class: September 28, 1914
President: Diana Natalicio (since 1987) • Faculty: 1,267 • Staff: 1,830
Students: 23,397 (September 2015)
Status: 14,392 full time, 8,687 part time (2014-15) • Campus: 421 acres (El Paso campus); 38,000 acres (Indio Mountains Research Station)
Degrees awarded since founding: More than 113,000
Enrollment data over the years: Click here
UTEP Miners athletic logo
Steve H. Worrell, first dean of the School of Mines
Original site of the School of Mines by Ft. Bliss
Source: UTEP Facts 2014 - 2015; C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections Department, University of Texas at El Paso; Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin
Timeline of UTEP History
1900s • 1910s • 1920s • 1930s • 1940s • 1950s • 1960s • 1970s • 1980s • 1990s • 2000s • 2010s
Looking for more information and sources on the history of The University of Texas at El Paso?