1940s

From UTEP Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Events of the 1940s

Contents

1940

September 13 – The new school year opens with the addition of journalism and physical education minors to the course offerings. [Cat.]

December 7 – The Board of Regents approves the conferring of graduate degrees by the College of Mines. A Master of Arts degree will be available in English, history, and education. The College was the last remaining senior university in the state that did not offer graduate work. [BR]

December 7 – The U.T. Board of Regents agree to name two new buildings on the College of Mines campus. One is named after former U.T. President Harry Y. Benedict and the other after the school's first dean, Steve H. Worrell.


1941

June
Master's degree work offered for the first time in education, English, and history.

October
27 - After twenty-five years of on-and-off-again negotiations, the U.S. Army purchases the former mesa site of the college for $7,700, following a suit to condemn the land to accommodate the expansion of Fort Bliss.

December
7 - Pearl Harbor is attacked by forces of the Japanese navy.

29 - John W. (Cap) Kidd dies.

1942

January 12 – The first radio broadcast from the College is transmitted by KTSM from a studio located in the Centennial Museum. President Dossie Wiggins delivered a message on the importance of education during wartime. [Pros.]

May
The College of Mines awards its first Master of Arts degrees to Lee Hammons, Naomi Dowd Jameson, and Grace Knox Smith.

1945

September
Enrollment at the College jumps to an all time high of 1,329, up from 881 the previous year - an increase of fifty percent.

1946

June
"Vet Village," a collection of housing trailers, is installed under the auspices of the Federal Public Housing Authority.

September
One year following the end of World War II, enrollment skyrockets to 2,250 (an increase of 155 percent from 1944), as returning service personnel take advantage of the GI Bill.

November
The College installs surplus barracks to handle increased enrollment.

1949

April
The Board of Regents approves renaming the College of Mines to "Texas Western College of the University of Texas."

May
20 - Gov. Beauford Jester signs the bill approving the name change to Texas Western College following passage by the 51st Legislature.

June
The new name of the college, Texas Western College, takes effect.

July
Reserve Officer Training Corp (ROTC) courses are offered for the first time.


Sources: Fugate, Frontier College (1964); The Prospector.

Back to Timeline  1900s  1910s  1920s  1930s  1940s  1950s  1960s  1970s  1980s  1990s  2000s  2010s
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox